Maureen's Musings

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

A Good Day

“Dear God, Thank you for a good day……and give me a good day tomorrow………amen.”

 That’s always part of the prayer that my older son, Jeremy says every night. For a while, I have been telling him that he should not always say the same thing every night and to not always think about himself and the “give me”. Then it occurred to me that it’s his faith and trust in God to give him a good day. In his mind, a good day can only come from God and it’s OK to ask His Father to give it to him daily. No wonder Jesus said “let the little children come to me, for such is the kingdom of heaven”. For many of us, we would never feel right to ask God for a good time, or a good day. We may ask Him to guide us or provide what we need, but a good day…(at least for me)  no, it just doesn’t seem right to ask for that. So instead, we trust in ourselves to have a good day, to do things that will make our day pleasant and most of the time, at the end of our day, we cannot say that we have a good day.  Maybe, the reason why our days are not so good is because we do not ask. “You do not have because you do not ask” (James 4:2).

For Jeremy, he asks God for a good day and when the day is over, he thanks God for the good day. It does not matter whether he has “boo boos” or that he is disappointed over some things….it is a good day and he can go to sleep and wake up to have another good day. Oh, how good it is to be a child and just trust in our Heavenly Father to give us a good day

 

 

3 Comments:

  • At 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    First of all, WELCOME to blogging, Maureen!! How exciting!

    Second - you are not going to believe this, but I just got through commenting and emailing a fellow Christian blogger about the very subject of your first blog here!! About how we can "piece together" all the salvagable pieces of the broken dreams and fragment of the "messes" of our lives and go on to much better things.

    Apostle Paul talks so much about perseverence in his writings to us as he shares all the trials and tribulations he went through as a follower of Christ. I think sometimes we forget that this life is full of perils and dangers and mistakes, but that we must keep on "keeping on."

    Those rolls you made sound really good to me right now. My mom still makes homemade dinner rolls all the time and everyone in the family loves to go to her house out in Abilene, Texas to gobble them down!

     
  • At 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oops! I posted my comment to the wrong post! Sorry about that!

    I'm commenting about rolls and perseverence and you're talking here about your son and how to have a good day! I intended to comment on both, but guess I'll leave well enough alone here! (Does this mean I'm not having as good a day as I should, do you suppose? Because I'm such a "dummy" sometimes? Probably, but I'm having a great day otherwise, so am not going to worry about it!)

    I like your son's prayer and think it's perfectly fine he's praying the same thing every night and that he's praying for the right thing. Some nights (I really do this) after I've gone to bed I'll remember my earliest childhood prayer "Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep" and will pray that entire poem/prayer and just feel so very comforted. And, you know - it's very similar in theme to your son's nightly prayer.

    God likes them all.

     
  • At 2:26 PM, Blogger Steve said…

    Welcome to the world of blogging! Kids prayers are so beautiful. I love to hear Grace pray. She has such a heart for others. James, on the other hand, likes to experiment with different voices while he prays. He is also a same prayer repeater. One thing I have tried in the past that was work but it did work was to ask them before they prayed some questions that would spur them to think of other things. What was the best part of today that you want to thank God for? Who is someone who you want God to take care of? etc. I haven't done that in a while. I need to start again.

    Again Welcome! I remember enjoying reading your reports on the snail mail version.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home