Maureen's Musings

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Reward for a Job Well Done

The day before Father’s day, I helped my boys made a little booklet card for Anthony. Jeremy was excited at first but then started to whine as he thought that it was too much work. He needed some pushing but finally got it done. Just before he went to bed that night, he enthusiastically added some finishing touch to the booklet, all excited about giving it to daddy.

The next day at breakfast, when Jeremy gave the card to daddy, he was so pleased and happy that daddy loved the card and started telling daddy how he put the card together. In all his excitement, he had forgotten that it was pretty hard work to put the card together. When I asked him whether it was worth all the hard work, he smiled and agreed that it was worth it because daddy like it and it made daddy happy.

It reminded me that our Christian life is just like that, following Jesus is not always easy. We have to work hard at it because of our sinful nature but won’t it be worth it all when we see God’s approval as he says “Well done”.

 

1 Comments:

  • At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maureen -

    Great post and great analogy! Reminds me of Jesus' story in Matthew 25 about the faithful servants when the master came home and told each of the two, "Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful over a few things, so I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness."

    Matthew 25 is one of my favorite chapters to think about and to try to live by. I feel Jesus "story" at the end of the chapter about the "sheep" and the "goats" and what judgment will be like really sums up for me, in a lot of ways, what God expects me to be doing here on earth for all those around me.

    It was good of you as a mother to teach your boys that important and vital lesson.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home