Maureen's Musings

Friday, June 24, 2005

Scary Things

On Father’s day, after worship, we went for lunch at a newly opened beach hotel. The food was good and after lunch we stayed on at the beach. Jonathan really like the beach and wanted to play, jumping into the waves. I was a little apprehensive as the waves seemed pretty rough but decided to go with Jonathan, staying close to the shore. There is a breakwater so I thought it would be pretty safe. We had a good time till a big wave swept me and Jonathan off our feet and we went under the water but we managed to get up. I thought Jon would be scared but when I asked him, he said that he was but he liked scary things. He wanted to stay on so we stayed for a little while more. Jeremy and Jonathan then played in the small swimming pool before they wanted to go back to play on the beach jumping into the waves again. I had them on each side of me that time. We were having fun till another big wave swept Jonathan off his feet. I reached down to get him when another wave came in and I lost my balance. Jeremy, by then, was down on the sand too. A few waves came in succession and for a second, I thought I’d lost them both. But I was able to push Jonathan further up the beach while a worker at the hotel managed to get hold of Jeremy. I had a hard time getting up as I must have hurt my knee when I fell, but was able to get out of the waves finally. Anthony wasn’t around as he was away retrieving a kite that Jeremy was flying before it got away. It was a scary experience but I thank God that He was with us and protected us from harm. Anyway, when we recovered and dried off, I told Anthony what happened and mentioned what Jonathan said about liking “scary things”.  Jon interrupted and told us, “I don’t like scary things anymore.”  I guess that the last wave was a little too much for him.

Looking back, what scares me most is what Jonathan said about liking scary things.  I can’t help but think of what he might get himself into in the future. I have to remind myself that not to worry but to trust God to take care of him. As his mom, my job is to be there for him, to teach him and to lift him up to our Heavenly Father.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The toughest part for me about raising children, was letting them go to make their own way in the world when they reached late teenage, college age. But, you know what? Even today, years later, I still worry about my children and pray over them as they make their way in the world. The worry doesn't let up.

    In fact, with children's spouses and grandchildren and an extending family, the worry, and the prayers, grow! My mom is 83 and now has a really large family to worry and pray over. Such seems to be life.

    It reminds me of what God must feel for all His vast number of children and those he would like to have as children.

    Pretty scary, isn't it?!

     
  • At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maureen, this sounds like a scary experience. I thank God that He took care of you all. I can relate to the fear of the future for Caden, but you're right, God is in control and He is trustworthy. May God bless your travels.

     
  • At 12:56 PM, Blogger Sandi said…

    Maureen,

    When are you going to post again? Your readers need you!!!

    Sandi

    :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home