Maureen's Musings

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Home Alone

On Friday morning, I sent Anthony and the boys off on a camping trip to the Pendjari game park in northern Benin. It is a Fathers and sons trip for our team with the exception of our teachers and Brenda Holland’s sister, Glenda. This will be the last trip to the game park for the Parker and the Holland boys before we leave Togo. It is the long awaited trip and the boys were excited. I believe the big guys are also thrilled to be making the trip.

 

I had mixed emotions as I said my good-byes. Jeremy, my first born, gave me kisses and hugs and said that he will miss me and Jon, though he hugged and kissed me seems more excited about getting to play on his hand held game in the car and be with the other kids. It took a couple of hours to load up the 2 vehicles with all their bags, camping gears and food and water before they leave.

 

The couple of days prior to the departure, I was frantically trying to make various snacks and bake calzones for their long trip. With so many growing boys and full grown men and the 3 gals, we, the ladies had been baking up a storm to make sure that our men and boys will not go hungry for the next 4 days! So, it was kind of a relief to see them off after all the preparations and frenzy. Home alone at last, I thought.

 

I cannot remember when the last time I was alone. I guess it would have been when I was in England working as a midwife 16 years ago. Since then, I have always had people with me, my family in Singapore and then Anthony and kids after my marriage. I wasn’t sure how I will fare during their absence.  I had plan to take the time while they are away to do some packing. We have only less than 3 weeks before we have to pack our container. After they got off, Christine and Louise offered to come by the house to help me do some packing. We were able to pack most of Anthony’s books and some of the kitchenware. In the evening I walked to an Indian friend’s house to visit and ended up having a chapatti dinner at her place. I came home to an empty house and it felt a little weird. After almost ten years of marriage, I am so used to coming back home to hugs and kisses and noise from my boys.

 

It was kind of nice to go to bed and wake up as and when I wish and not to have to think about what I am going to prepare for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is nice to have quiet time without interruption. But I do miss the hugs and kisses, (the boys always asked to be given big hugs “so much so that their eyes pop up”. I kind of miss Jonathan climbing into bed with me at 5.30 am and asking for his chocolate milk. I miss the boys coming to me and said, “May I have something to eat, I’m hungry” even though they had a meal just a little while ago. I miss Jon asking, “Mom, do you remember….” and he will quote some lines and theme songs from certain movies and expect me to know what he is saying. I miss having my first cup of coffee brought to me as soon as I woke up in the morning (I have been spoiled by Anthony).

 

This afternoon, we will come together at Brenda’s place for time worship and prayers. So far, it hasn’t been too bad without my 3 boys. I have things to keep me occupied but I am looking forward to their return tomorrow. Join me in prayers that they will have a wonderful time and have a safe trip back. May the trip make beautiful and wonderful memories for them.

 

                                                                                                                                                                                          

1 Comments:

  • At 3:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maureen -

    I hope your time alone at home was a blessing to you and a nice "aside" from your normally hectic life as a wife and mother and all.

    As you know, I've spent much of the past year here at home alone without even talking with others for most of the day. In some ways solitude is great, but in others, it has made me wish I still had my grown children back home and that Tom could be here with me more.

    But, I guess it all works out in the end. Each stage and season of time in our lives brings its own rewards and drawbacks. Such is life.

    I hope that overall it was a good few days for you alone, as well as a great time for "the boys." I haven't commented yet on Anthony's latest post, but the pictures were wonderful! So exciting and neat to see all the animals in the "wild" that we only see in zoos here in the U. S.

    My prayers will be with you all as you anticipate and prepare for your big move. May God richly bless you in all.

    Dee

     

Post a Comment

<< Home