Maureen's Musings

Saturday, September 10, 2005

Keep It Flowing

It was one of those days that I’ve just come to accept as part and parcel of living here in Tabligbo, Togo.  The power went off sometime during the morning. And then the water came in little spurts before it stopped completely. “They must be working on the power line and so the pump isn’t working to pump the water. Hope it will not be a whole day affair,” I thought.

Before too long, the power was restored but the water came back for only a few seconds and then stopped again. It was a little frustrating at first, as it was my baking day and there were quite a lot of dishes and utensils to be washed.  Anyway, we do have some barrels of water for such an occasion and so, out went the bucket to be filled and brought back to the house. The bucket had to be filled a few times during the course of the day but I was fine and did not think too much of it.  By late afternoon, when the water situation remained the same, I decided to check with my teammates to see whether their water was out too. Somehow, by then, I had the nagging feeling that something was not quite right. When they told me that they had water, I knew that it may be our line. Anyway, I decided to go out and check on our water pipe by the meter.  It did not surprise me too much when I found the main faucet turned off. The minute I turned it on, there was water coming out from the faucets in the house! Some little fingers had turned it off and on questioning my younger son, Jonathan, (he was playing outside the house the whole morning with his friends), he reluctantly admitted that he did it but stressed that it was an “aksidone.” After receiving the admonition that he should not play with the faucet any more, he went back happily to his play, glad that he was not punished.

It occurred to me that I had gone almost the whole day without water in the house from the faucets, not because there was no water but that the main faucet was turned off.  I can’t help but think of the many times that I have gone “dry” because I did not turn on the faucet of the Living Water. Our Lord Jesus said that He is the Living Water and anyone who drinks from Him will never be thirsty.

The ladies on our team are doing the Beth Moore study,” Believing God” and something she said made me think of what happened above. “God is so much more than we have yet acknowledged and experienced. He is capable of tremendously more than we have witnessed. I have become utterly convinced that we see so little because we believe Him for so little.” “We receive not because we ask not”, James said.

May we stop every now and then to check our lives and see that we have not, by accident or on purpose, shut off the flow of the Living Water.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maureen,
    I am up at 1:21 in the morning, because events of the past week related to the hurrican keep me from sleeping. Nights can be very long, when your mind is racing. I was passing the time by reading blogs, which by the way, I have never done before, other than Hannah's. I got started and just jumped from blog to blog via links from others. I can't say that I will start one, but tonight your blog encouraged me. I am feeling a lot empty and it reminded me to stop amid all the relief efforts and need to fill up. I thought I had done that this morning, but when the night came, relized that it had not been enough. I hope you are doing better with health. Hannah is getting excited about visiting you. I am excited for her. Take care and tell your family I said hello.
    Candace

     

Post a Comment

<< Home