Maureen's Musings

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

It’s been a while since I posted a blog.  Last month, the boys and I traveled to Singapore to see my family. It was nice but we missed Anthony as he was over in the States. A couple of days before I came back, I started to have a cold and sore throat. With the long air flights, taking care of the 2 boys and lack of sleep, the cold flared up into “full blown” bronchitis.  After a course of antibiotics, the fever and cold symptoms subsided but the cough continues and it remains with me still, usually worse during the morning and at night. About 2 weeks after we came back, I had malaria (Anthony had it first) and as if that were not enough, I discovered last week that I have shingles.  

It should have been a very discouraging past month but it was not. Because God has been good to me. He blesses me with good teammates who provided us with meals when I didn’t feel like getting out of bed to cook, and keeping the boys so that I could rest, He gave me strength to deal with the discomfort of the sickness. He gave me examples of people who have gone through much worse and yet able to praise God (Dee, you are one of those) and His many promises in the Bible—my favorite being, “No temptation has seized you except what is common to man.  And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.”  Also,  the example of Paul entreating the Lord to remove his thorn in the flesh but was given the answer, “my grace is sufficient for you for my power is made perfect in weakness.”, who went on to say that “for when I am weak, then am I strong.” All these sicknesses have drawn me closer to God as I have more time to talk to Him and I am assured that God’s grace is sufficient for me and He will give me the strength that I need to deal with my ailments. Thank you to all of you who have been praying for my recovery.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for that wonderful post, Maureen. You have been in my thoughts and prayers - much on my mind. I've had some further serious health (permanent, too) setbacks this week, myself, which have really thrown me for a loop. I didn't even blog at all for two days, that's how bad it got!

    But, with much prayer from family and friends and the wonderful uplifting and support from my dear husband, I'm doing a little better this evening and hope to be able to deal with this new ordeal in a better way soon.

    Your scriptures and references are very encouraging to me right now in my hours of grief and agony over my health situation. So, thanks. I hold you and Anthony and your children dear in my heart.

    I was able to worship with Tammany Oaks Sunday for the first time in 4 months and that was a real blessing. I talked with Tod and told him how much you guys mean to me!

    Much love from Dee.

     
  • At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maureen,

    I am so sorry that you have been through so much but so thankful to God that He has drawn you closer to Him through it all. That is just like him -- He is so faithful. I went to a women's conference recently where a woman was talking about suffering and telling about two families close to her; the first had a son in a car accident who didn't look like he was going to live, but God healed him completely -- to the astonishment of the doctors! The second was a woman with children who was suffering terribly from children. This woman talked about how she was thankful for the cancer because God had held her so close to Him and had whispered so intimately to her during her nights of pain. Even though she wasn't healed, she could see beauty in her suffering. The speaker said that the first guy could get up and share his testimony of healing, and we would all say, "Isn't that just like God?!" And the woman with cancer could get up and share her testimony of continual suffering, and in the beauty of God ministering to her, we would also say, "Isn't that just like God?" He is faithful through our suffering as well as in healing us. Love you.

    Sandi

     
  • At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have to laugh -- I should have written a "woman with children who was suffering terriby from cancer" -- my typo made me laugh really hard. A woman with children who was suffering terribly from children? :) Ha.

    Sandi

     

Post a Comment

<< Home